Friday, January 16, 2015

The Reader Problems TAG







I was tagged by Kate at Read and Dream: My Book Life to participate in The Reader Problems TAG. Check out her responses to the questions and her blog at the link. This is the first time I have been tagged since I started my blog, so sending out a big thanks for Kate for thinking of me. So excited to see that people are taking time out of their day to check out my posts.

1. You have 20K books in your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?

Honestly, I'm a bit of a stickler for reading books in the order I receive them. Currently I have books on my shelves from about 2 years ago, that I am just starting to get to. When I got my Kobo and then started reading from Kindle for PC, I try to alternate, sticking to the order I add them. Usually I have at least 2 books on the go at one time: 1 book from my physical copy or Kobo and 1 from Kindle for PC. The only time I veer from this is if I decide to partake in a book club selection.

2. You're half way through a book and you're just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed?

I'm currently in this exact situation. But I am pushing myself to complete it. I very rarely quit on a book I've started, even if I don't like it.

3. The end of the year is coming and you're so close, but so far away from your Goodreads reading challenge. Do you try to catch up and how?

Although, like I said I am a stickler for following my TBR list, I think that in this case I would make an exception. I would try to read some shorter books from my pile to bring me closer to my goal.

4. The covers of the series you love so much do not match. How do you cope?

I don't think this would be such a huge deal for me as long as the story is the same. If it is a series I am really devoted to I may try in the future to collect a matching set. What gets me is when a series is reissued with different titles. So annoying.

5. Everyone and their mothers love a book you really don't like. Who do you bond with over shared feelings?

I found this to be the case with the Jane Austen books I read. However I was able to find people on Goodreads who felt the same as me.

6. You are reading a book and you are about to start crying in public. How do you deal with it? 

Normally I get a pretty good idea what the tone of a book is by reading the back cover. Truth be told I'm a sap, so chances are if the book has to do with anything sad (especially if it has animals in it) I will undoubtedly cry. I try not to bring those kind out in public with me.

7. A sequel of a book you love just came out, but you've forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip to the sequel? Try and find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration? 

When I was younger and really into The Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot, I used to re-read the entire series over again before reading the newest release. Now, however my TBR list is never-ending and I have books that I've been sent in exchange for reviews, so I don't end to do that. If I'm having trouble remembering parts of the previous book, I will look up the synopsis to refresh my memory.

8. You do not want anyone borrowing your books. How do you politely tell people nope when they ask?

The only person I really let borrow my books is my mom. If anyone else were to ask I would just politely tell them sorry, but I have lent out books in the past and never got them back again. I would also try to suggest somewhere else they could find a copy.

9. Read ADD. You've picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over your reading slump?

If I'm in a reading slump, I take that as a hint that maybe I need to take a bit of a break and find something else to keep busy. If the slump is caused by just plain boring books, I try to trudge through them. I might read a few pages here and there while I'm online. For example if I'm playing a game or just looking at pins on Pinterest, I will make my turn or look at a few pins then read a couple of pages. This way at least I'm making progress even if it is slowly.

10. There are so many books coming out that you're dying to read! How many books do you buy?

There are indeed, so many books that I want to read! So many in fact that it is overwhelming at times. I've currently put a ban on discovering new books. I'm not allowing myself to add anymore books to my TBR list until I have read and reviewed all the books I've been sent via giveaways. And its so hard!!

11. After you've bought the new books you can't wait to get to, how long do they sit on your shelf before you get to them?

Like I said I stick to my order and I'm on a personal ban. But if the temptation gets too much and I cave and add a new book or two, it would depend on the format it is in. If it is an audio version, I will most likely get to it sooner than if it is a physical copy. This is also true in the case of Ebooks and Kindle books because I have less books in those formats than I do in books on my shelves.


Thanks for taking the time to read my answers. As I am just getting established with my blog, I'm not going to nominate anyone specifically. Although if you are reading this and would like to participate, let me know in the comments and I will check out your answers.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I always love bookish questions and answers. :D

    I'm a fan of setting books aside if they aren't working for me. There are times when I know I'll be rewarded if I keep going, and so I do. There are times when I know I'm thisclose to throwing a book across the room and that's when I set it aside and find something else, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to like doing tags. Its a great way to get to know bloggers.

      I feel the same. Being able to mark a book complete is satisfying no matter how bad it is, lol.

      Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete