Saturday, June 6, 2015

ML's Worth a Watch #2



I'm back with my second installment of ML's Worth a Watch. I even made a picture thingy! I love Canva! Anyway this week I will be sharing my review of a movie I watched. 





Title: Big Eyes
Director: Tim Burton
Genre: Biography, Drama
Released: December 24 2014 (USA)
Rating: PG-13 (Some strong language)
Staring: Amy Adams, Christoph Waltz, Danny Huston, Krysten Ritter








Synopsis from IMDB:


A drama about the awakening of the painter Margaret Keane, her phenomenal success in the 1950s, and the subsequent legal difficulties she had with her husband, who claimed credit for her works in the 1960s.



My thoughts:



While searching for a movie to watch, I saw a preview for Big Eyes and the obvious 1950’s and 1960’s time period caught my attention. I had never heard of this before but I do tend to enjoy Amy Adam’s work so I decided to give it a shot. When the opening credits started to roll I realized that it was directed by Tim Burton. I can’t say I’m much of a fan of his movies because I find them quite dark, but because I had purchased it I decided to keep watching. Much to my surprise I ended up enjoying the story of Margaret Keane. I can’t say I know very much about art, but I have seen her work before and I am now able to recognize her influence on many aspiring artists today. I can even see her influence on Tim Burton’s characters. As a woman today I find it hard to fathom a man telling me that my own creations would be better received under his (male) name. I found myself rooting Margaret on, hoping she would one day be able to claim her rightful credit. However on the other hand, if the real Walter Keane was as charismatic as Christoph Waltz portrayed him to be, I can see how Margaret was swept up in his plans. Learning about her story sparked an interest in learning more about the woman, who now in her late 80’s is still creating her signature art. 

My Rating: 3.5/5
Recommended For:  People who enjoy watching movies set in the 1950’s-1960’s, art lovers, fans of semi biographical films. 

For more information on Margaret Keane and her art check out her website: Keane Eyes Gallery

Have you seen the movie Big Eyes? If so what did you think of it? Have you watched anything good lately? If so leave me a message in the comments. I’d love to hear from you.
Also stay tuned for my next Worth a Watch, where I will be talking about the movie Charlie St. Cloud, staring Zac Efron. 

Sources:
Movie information and poster: (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1126590/)
Movie trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xD9uTlh5hI

No comments:

Post a Comment