Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Stockholm Octavo by Karen Engelmann

Title: The Stockholm Octavo
Author: Karen Engelmann
Narrator: Simon Vance
Published: 2012
Published By: Blackstone Audio, Inc.
Format Read: Audio Book
Genre: Historical Fiction
Date Read: August 19 2015
Rating: 2.5/5



1790’s Stockholm Sweden: A bachelor by the name of Emil Larsson raises in the ranks of the city’s society to become a customs secretary among the gambling tables of parlours. At one such establishment he would meet a proprietor and fortune teller by the name of Mrs. Sparrow. A tarot card reading involving an octavo of eight cards, would change the man’s life direction in some dangerous ways. In search for the 8 people represented in the cards, the final supposedly to be his love, Larsson would cross paths with a baroness, an apothecary, a fan maker, his wife and the King Gustav III himself. 

I came across The Stockholm Octavo on Goodreads one day and was intrigued by the idea of uncovering which character would match each of the eight cards. I was not very familiar with 18th century Stockholm, so reading this book was an educational experience for me, although this is a work of fiction. This book tells how the number 8 is an ancient symbol of eternity and the reading of the cards took Mrs. Sparrow and Larsson took 6 days to reveal. Another focus of this story was the art and language of fans. Women of society learned how to flutter their fans and use them as a way of communication, most specifically with men. I was familiar with the importance of a woman being married and how it will advance her family, however I was interested to learn that the career position of a man may also depend on him being married as well. This was the case of Larsson’s position in customs. 

I will admit that this isn’t my favourite century to read about, so I didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as I hoped I would. As I listened to this book in audio format, I often found myself getting confused with all of the characters and the politics of the time. Perhaps if I re-read or re-listened to it again I would pick up on more points I missed the first time around. 

Even though this book wasn’t one of my favourites, I would recommend this to those who are interested in Swedish history involving King Gustav III. It would probably be better read in book format rather than listened to in audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment