Monday, March 28, 2016

The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew #1) by Carolyn Keene

Title: The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew #1)
Author: Carolyn Keene
Narrator: Laura Linney
Published: June 2007 (Originally published: 1930)
Published By: Listening Library
Format Read: Audio Book
Genre: Middle Grade
Date Read: February 26 2016
Rating: 3/5


The Secret of the Old Clock is the first book in the classic mystery series by Carolyn Keene, which was first published in 1930. Readers are introduced to the beautiful blonde Nancy, who at the age of 18 is eager to help those in need. In this specific case, those in need are the supposed beneficiaries to the estate of a deceased man whose inheritance was wrongfully claimed by a greedy family. Nancy works to uncover a missing will to set things right. 



Growing up I loved to read just as much as I do today, but for some reason I never did pick up a Nancy Drew mystery. So now as a grown woman, after all these years I decided to give the first book in the series a try. 

The Secret of the Old Clock was an interesting mystery that kept my attention. Although I found it quite convenient how the clues would just fall into Nancy’s lap. For someone who didn’t partake in gossip, strangers sure did give her all the dirt, ha. It was a simple story, yet enjoyable and has certainly stood the test of time. 

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that this book was narrated by actress Laura Linney. I thought she did a good job and look forward to listening to the others she is attached to.

I gave The Secret of the Old Clock a 3 star rating, however I think that had I read (or listened) to these books during my childhood, I would have loved them even more. I would recommend it to its intended audience; ,middle grade readers and to those who enjoy classic children’s books.

6 comments:

  1. I read a few of these as a kid (don't remember which ones) after finishing the Hardy Boys. Wanted more of the same I guess. I reread a few Hardy Boys last year and yeah they're simple, but for kids good stuff. And yes things happen VERY conveniently lol. I do think Laura Linney does sound like a good choice for narraotr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to give the Hardy Boys books a try at some point. That is another classic series I somehow missed out on as a child.
      Thanks for commenting Greg.

      Delete
  2. I read this book just a few days ago and I agree with everything you said here. Nancy just seems to conveniently find all the clues she needs, doesn't she? XD. I read a bunch of those books when I was a kid, only I read them in French editions that I can't seem to find anywhere anymore. So I decided to re-read them in their original English. I think I'll be reading the other books at some point :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you local library has the French editions? I hope to read more from this series as well. Thanks for commenting Soudha.

      Delete
  3. I loved the Nancy Drew books when I was a pre-teen. A few years ago, I bought the first three books in the series, including, of course, The Secret of the Old Clock. I hope to reread them at some point.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy re-reading them as much as you did the first time around, Laurel-Rain.

      Delete