Tuesday, April 11, 2017

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman



A Man Called Ove
By: Fredrik Backman


Published: July. 2014
Published By: Atria Books 
Format Read: eBook, Kobo
Genre: Contemporary 

Rating: 3.5/5
💚💚💚






After the death of his beloved wife, a man called Ove, just wants to end his life and be reunited with his love. Fortunately and ironically his attempts are thwarted by a colourful cast of neighbours.


A Man Called Ove was the first monthly selection for a local book club that I recently joined. I had heard of it before, but went into it knowing very little about the plot.

The ironic humor the author infused into this book was right up my alley and reminded me of The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. Both of these books have been translated from their original language Swedish.

Ove was an interesting character: a curmudgeon who was very set in his ways, yet knew right from wrong. I especially admired his devotion to his wife Sonja. Amid the humor, A Man Called Ove really did have a lot of meaning behind it and although I enjoyed it, I found myself wishing I had a more emotional reaction to the story.


I would recommend this book to fans of contemporary fiction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment