Tuesday, April 18, 2017

ML's Worth a Watch: A Man Called Ove


Last week I shared my review for the 2014 debut novel A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.

In this bestselling and delightfully quirky debut novel from Sweden, a grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a boisterous young family moves in next door.
Meet Ove. He's a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him "the bitter neighbor from hell." But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn't walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?
Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove's mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents' association to their very foundations.
A feel-good story in the spirit of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, Fredrik Backman’s novel about the angry old man next door is a thoughtful and charming exploration of the profound impact one life has on countless others. -Source

Just last year the book was adapted to a movie in its native Sweden. Although I haven't watched it yet myself, the trailer has really caught my interest and I hope to be able to see it soon.

Check it out below:


I think that I would get the emotional reaction from watching this movie, that I was hoping for with the book. This short clip seems to portray much more heart than the author was able to convey in his writing.

What do you think? Does the novel or the movie interest you? Leave me a message in the comments below. 

3 comments:

  1. I do have this book on my TBR. This was a good trailer! Does it follow the book pretty well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had a chance to watch the movie yet, but it seems like it will be a good adaptation.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like such a sweet story. I had never heard of it before. I’ll have to check out the book as well ^^

    My latest post: Giveaway: An ACOTAR Candle (International)

    ReplyDelete